Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Team of Rivals in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Team of Rivals explains how Abraham Lincoln went from being an unlikely candidate to the leader of the Republican party.
The Big Takeaways:
- The adolescent years of Abraham Lincoln’s life are what fueled his desire always to try a little more.
- If Abraham Lincoln went through many difficult years as a child and young adult, which shaped his desire to pursue a law career.
- Politics were a rocky place, birthing The Republican Party.
- As western expansion continued, ideas on slavery became a divide for many people in politics.
- No one expected Lincolneven to be considered for the Republican nomination.
- Lincoln’s achievements were underwhelming, so no one thought initially that he would be a good candidate for the Republican Party.
- It was a shock when Lincoln was nominated at the Republican Convention.
- Lincoln’s consistency in his values proved him a strong candidate for the Republican party.
- The Emancipation Proclamation changed everything during the Civil War.
- This put Lincoln in a position to show his loyalty to all people.