Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Imagined Communities in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Imagined Communities explains to readers the constructive and argumentative debate over nationalism.
The Big Takeaways:
- Nationalism received fame from the decline in the importance of religion after the Enlightenment era.
- If When people lost faith in a religion as a community, new idea-nationalism was founded.
- The establishment of national languages paved the way towards the rise of nationalism.
- The binding force among diverse social groups had become their unique national languages which developed a sense of harmony.
- The rise of nationalism was a practical threat to enormous political empires.
- The sense of unity among different communities denied the supremacy of foreign powers over the local groups, affecting imperial rule.
- The colonial mentality and the resistance toward the imperial rule redefined history.
- Starting from Europe, nationalism swept the globe. Even very small communities were determined to gain a new identity under this ideology.
- The rise of nationalism in Europe is due to the diversity in the languages at that time.
- When the revolution came, the diverse languages of states compelled them to think about their separate identity.