Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Bottom Billion in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Bottom Billion discusses the issues within the 50 poorest countries of the world and why they can’t breakthrough.
The Big Takeaways:
- Countries cannot overcome poverty without sustainable economic growth.
- If Over time, it becomes more challenging to integrate emerging countries into the global economy.
- Poorer countries are prone to war and therefore have a more difficult time overcoming poverty.
- Wars destroy a country’s economy more than anything else.
- New natural resources can cause harm in the poorest countries.
- Corrupt politicians don’t funnel the money from exports to the hands of the people but instead use the fund for their own self-interests.
- Poor, landlocked countries must rely on neighboring nations for growth and development.
- They lack the same transportation resources that other countries have, therefore making trade difficult.
- International peacekeepers help the country create the means for growth without too much war.
- Peacekeepers are meant to bring peace to the country by stopping internal conflict from once again consuming the nation.