Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Half the Sky in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Half the Sky explains the physical consequences of gender inequality around the world.
The Big Takeaways:
- The sex slave trade is still existent in many countries.
- If The slave trade persists because societies still view women as a lesser version of a human.
- The opposers of sex slavery need to be more vocal and work on making sure things end.
- There is a lack of unity in the sex slave trade movement which allows space for “blurred lines” and the continuation of sex work.
- The way people view women is rooted in societal beliefs.
- Seeing women as inferior is something rooted in culture and is a hard idea to break.
- Maternal deaths are common and preventable.
- The well-being of many women is overlooked within the health-care system.
- Religion drives inequality between men and women.
- Many religions present the woman’s place as being below the man.