Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Half the Sky in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Half the Sky explains the physical consequences of gender inequality around the world.
The Big Takeaways:
- The sex slave trade is still existent in many countries.
- If The slave trade persists because societies still view women as a lesser version of a human.
- The opposers of sex slavery need to be more vocal and work on making sure things end.
- There is a lack of unity in the sex slave trade movement which allows space for “blurred lines” and the continuation of sex work.
- The way people view women is rooted in societal beliefs.
- Seeing women as inferior is something rooted in culture and is a hard idea to break.
- Maternal deaths are common and preventable.
- The well-being of many women is overlooked within the health-care system.
- Religion drives inequality between men and women.
- Many religions present the woman’s place as being below the man.