Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Emperor Of All Maladies in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Emperor of All Maladies discusses cancer and its biological components as well as the methods used to give our body a chance to fight for its life.
The Big Takeaways:
- Cancer cells grow exponentially to form tumors made up of our own cells.
- If While own bodies can cause cancer, there are always external causes of the lethal disease.
- Some chemicals that cause cancer also stop our immune systems from fighting it.
- Typically, our immune systems are prepared to get rid of mutating cells, but certain toxins can prevent that from happening.
- Several things influence the risk of cancer, including radiation, hormones, and biology.
- Some things that cause cancer can also be used to fight it, such as radiation.
- Radiation is the next best option after surgery and chemotherapy.
- Radiotherapy is critical for treating tumors but is often used in combination with other treatments such as surgery.
- Lasker and Farber helped pave the way for our understanding of cancer.
- Their research was more focused on drugs that could help treat the disease instead of researching the underlying factors of cancer.