Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Difficult Conversations in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Difficult Conversations explains the animosity and fear that people try to avoid when faced with a verbal disagreement and how you can turn that difficult conversation into a positive experience.
The Big Takeaways:
- People avoid difficult conversations because they fear the results.
- If Some fear the other person may become angry, say harmful things, and eventually escalate the situation to the point of irreconcilable differences.
- Communication is the key to a positive outcome.
- Learning to recognize what is going on behind the scenes of an argument can lead to making better decisions.
- During any difficult conversation, three things are happening simultaneously.
- Fighting over actions, feelings, and the character of the people involved.
- It is best to use the “learning conversation” approach.
- Determine why the other person is upset to avoid blaming and seemingly bad intentions.
- Self-assess by exploring your emotional footprint.
- Ask yourself questions and listen to your inner voice to discover the truth that will lead you to a positive resolution.