Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Uninhabitable Earth in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Uninhabitable Earth discusses the future we face if we do not act to slow human contribution to the warming of the Earth.
The Big Takeaways:
- The Paris Climate Agreement, while well-meaning, is overly ambitious..
- If The majority of carbon emissions have been what was and is being produced since the Second World War, and it’ll be difficult for current generations to save the planet.
- Extreme weather is now expected and normalized.
- One degree of global warming increases the likelihood of severe hurricanes by up to 30%.
- As sea levels rise, the world’s major cities and countries are at risk of flooding over.
- Our current routines mean that we only have ten years to prevent irreversible damage.
- Diseases are expected to grow as the Earth warms.
- As the Earth warms, tropical zones are expanding, and along with expansion comes diseases like malaria.
- Freshwater is becoming more and more limited.
- UN scientists predict that five billion people across the world won’t have access to adequate fresh water by the year 2050.