Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Headspace Guide To Meditation and Mindfulness in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Through the immensely popular Headspace app, and now through this guide, Andy Puddicombe has led millions down the path toward a fulfilling and peaceful existence without the worries and distractions that plague others.
- Meditate to cultivate peace and fulfillment in your life
- Meditation improves your awareness of feelings and how you process them, helps you keep thoughts from spiraling out of control, and helps you get to a calm and relaxed state.
- Example: Rather than try to push away distracting or unpleasant thoughts, be aware of the thoughts coming in and let them wash away on their own.
- Set reasonable expectations for your meditation practice
- The key to long-lasting contentment isn’t suppressing negative emotions, but allowing yourself to feel the emotion and let it dissipate on its own.
- Example: Think of your thoughts as cars on a busy highway. Rather than jumping in the middle of the road to stop the cars, just observe them and let them pass.
- Start with just ten minutes of meditation to experience the benefits
- Ten minutes of inward focus on the present, or on your body, your breathing, or the sounds or smells around you can have a positive impact on your well-being.
- Example: For ten minutes, bring your focus onto your body from head to toe. Calmly pull your focus back when you notice your mind being swept into other thoughts.
- Meditate actively or passively at whatever point in the day works best for you
- There are many ways to meditate besides just sitting still, such as walking or running.
- Example: While walking, focus on how your body feels as it takes each step. Pay attention to what you hear, see, feel, or smell in the moment.
- Use meditation to improve your relationships with others
- When you create more inner space to be aware of your thoughts and feelings, you become more mindful of others’ thoughts and feelings too.
- Example: Through meditation, you’ll become aware of how you and others process serious events, and thus more prepared to navigate these events with more peace.
- Use mindfulness through meditation to impact other parts of your life
- Meditation can make you more aware of each moment, particularly in those areas of your life where you struggle the most.
- Example: Patients have overcome insomnia by meditating as they prepare for sleep.
- Regular meditation will reduce stress and enhance your quality of life
- Meditation lowers blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, consumption of oxygen, and boosts the immune system.
- Example: Scientific studies have shown a direct correlation between meditation and decreased symptoms of anxiety and depression.