Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Never Split the Difference in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Never Split The Difference is a negotiation guide that’s written by an experienced FBI kidnapping negotiator.
The Big Takeaways:
- Negotiation happens throughout life and it’s helpful if you understand the core principles
- If Every time you try to convince someone to do something or obtain something from someone, you’re negotiating
- Gather information and build trust to negotiate well
- You must understand what the other person is thinking to be able to effectively negotiate
- Listening closely builds trust
- You can even repeat back what the other person says to emphasize that you’re paying attention
- Your tonality is impactful during negotiations
- The listener will pick up on your vibe. So if you smile, they’ll hear your friendliness and if you speak calmly they’ll pick up on that.
- Label the emotions of the person you’re speaking with to build rapport
- If you show empathy by telling the other person you understand and acknowledge how they feel, it will help your negotiation.