Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Hidden Figures in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Hidden Figures highlights to accomplishments The West Computers, an all-black, female division of mathematicians, made during their time working with NASA.
The Big Takeaways:
- Black women were behind several of the most complex missions at NASA.
- If Though still segregated, several black women were hired at Langley to process complex math problems.
- The increase in production at the time of WWII gave a few black women the chance to become mathematicians for NACA.
- Though it was a prestigious job, these black women still faced many hardships in their everyday lives.
- These women were constantly reminded that they were not equal to their white counterparts.
- It was through their determination that these women broke into other parts of the organization by proving their ability time and time again.
- It was through the strength of these women that barriers were broken within Langley.
- While making strides in breaking barriers regarding race, they also helped new forward-think ideals for women in the workplace.
- Racial discrimination grew stronger, as did the women of Langley during the 1950s.
- These women were responsible for so much more than themselves, leading them to make their mark on science, as well as race relations in America.