Note: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Letters From A Stoic in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The lessons in Letters from A Stoic, “the original self-help book,” have withstood the test of time, and these teachings should be the foundation for anyone trying to live their best life.
- Find wisdom by living in harmony with nature
- Being in nature lets us experience divinity and find divinity within ourselves.
- Example: Seneca believes nature shows us that we were meant to live simply and that we should not fear the natural cycle of life and death.
- To achieve true happiness, seek truth in philosophy
- Philosophy delves into the big questions of how the physical world interacts with the world of the divine.
- Example: Peace of mind through philosophical introspection is a fundamental part of living a good life.
- Studying philosophy must be more than just a surface exercise
- Mere perusal of a bunch of different philosophers won’t lead you to truth; go in-depth in your studies.
- Example: Just as a beautiful person is a sum of their parts rather than just one feature, philosophy must be fully explored by learning from many teachers on an in-depth level.
- Feed your mind to feed your soul
- You can travel anywhere in the world in an effort to escape or explore, but if your mind isn’t at ease, you will never feel 100% comfortable where you are.
- Example: A cargo ship will sink if its cargo isn’t properly stowed. You can sink mentally if you don’t take the time to put your mind in order.
- Devote your mind to seeking truth instead of temptation and vices
- Greed makes you ignorant of what you need to find happiness.
- Example: A man who continually repeats a pattern of drinking, eating, and sleeping does not give his mind the opportunity to question if there is anything else.
- Face your fears and prepare for them
- Remove fear by mentally rehearsing it and facing it head-on.
- Example: A person who intentionally lives in meager conditions no longer fears them.
- Create and sustain valuable friendships to live a fulfilling life
- Only create room in your life for people you want with you on your journey.
- Example: A good friendship can feed positive energy and emotional well-being.
- Do not fear death
- Celebrate life instead of fearing death by cherishing each moment.
- Example: Just like a strawberry is at its ripest just before the end of the season, you can enjoy each day of old age just as much as your youth.